NPD has released its latest video game retail sales figures for the month of August, the U.S market research firm keeps track of all sales and releases them monthly for our very eyes. THQ is the big winner with their latest title Darksiders II selling 247,000 units and coming first, the Square Enix published Sleeping Dogs which was released on the same day was only able to reach 6th on the charts.
NPD also shared that gaming sales are down 20 percent from this time last year. The list below shows the sales numbers for the U.S for the month of August 2012.
- Darksiders II (360, PS3, PC)**
- New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)**
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3)
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)**
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)**
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, NDS, 3DS, Wii)
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
These numbers are from July 29 – August 25 2012, meaning Madden 13 (Released August 28) didn’t figure into these numbers.
Nintendo has also released some huge increased 3DS sales statistics since the launch of their latest iteration on the 3DS, the 3DSXL. Nintendo announced that their 3DS hardware sales of the original and 3DSXL were up 36 percent, on the other hand software was up 68 percent due to the strong release of New Super Mario Bro. 2 (These stats are in comparison to last month)
Jamie Briggs looks after Analog Addiction where you can find all his latest reviews, interviews and features and also like them on Facebook. Also follow his daily life on Twitter @AnalogAddiction and his videos on YouTube.