Zynga Shuts Down 11 Games Plus Employee Layoffs
CEO of Zynga Mark Pincus has outlined plans to completely remove and shut down 11 of its games in the new year.
Some games have been turned off today, some will be shut down and removed from stores and some will stop accepting new players. The controversial social gaming behemoth will instead be focusing on some of their more successful games rather than having an expansive library of titles.
Following falling share prices and a costly legal battle from Electronic Arts as well as falling victim to overextension, Zynga’s share price is now down to $2.33 having fallen 3.52% from IPO of $10 last year. The shutting down of games is only part of Zynga’s recovery plans. Zynga shut down its Boston, Massachusetts office late last year as well as laying off employees from its The Ville and Bingo teams from their office in Austin, Texas. As a result, The Ville saw a significant decrease in the amount of support it would be receiving.
Gamers who try to play the games are met with a message informing them that they cannot play the game they have set out to access. Naturally, Zynga aren’t ready to tell players just why the game of their choice is gone.
The games closing down are:
- PetVille – Shut down on the 30th of December.
- Mafia Wars 2 – Shut down on the 30th of December.
- FishVille – Shut down on the 5th of December.
- Vampire Wars – Shut down on the 5th of December.
- Treasure Isle – Shut down the 5th of December.
- Indiana Jones Adventure World – Shuts down on the 14th of January but no longer accepts new players.
- Mafia Wars Shakedown – Removed from stores.
- ForestVille – Removed from stores.
- Monotopia – Shut down on the 21st of December.
- Mojitomo – Removed from stores.
- Word Scramble Challenge – pulled from stores.
Not a happy new year for Zynga.
Source: Tech Crunch.
George Sinclair is an editor for Analog Addiction, the home of the latest news, reviews and previews. You can follow George on Twitter and his blog on IGN. Don’t forget to follow the OFFICIAL Analog Addiction Twitter!