2K and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM: Enemy Within, an expanded experience of the critically acclaimed XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
XCOM: Enemy Within will add an array of new abilities, upgrades and weapons to face new enemy threats. The expansion will provide players with new maps and multiplayer content. 2K has stated it will take players three to four playthroughs before encountering all the new material being included in Enemy Within.
2K has outlined some of the key features that will be included in XCOM: Enemy Within.
- New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
- New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry.
- New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid.
- New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades.
- New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps.
- New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
“The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.”
“We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.”
Players looking to purchase XCOM: Enemy Within for PC or Mac will require to own XCOM: Enemy Unknown. XCOM: Enemy Within will also be available on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as a standalone expansion pack, that can purchased be for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and will include all previous released DLC (Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack).
XCOM: Enemy Within will release in North America on November 12, and in Australia and New Zealand on November 14 for PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 . The PC and Mac versions will cost $49.95, while the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will cost $69.95.